Tuesday, February 16, 2016


All income is taxable unless a law specifically says it isn’t. 
  • Taxable income.  Taxable income includes money you earn, like wages and tips. It also includes bartering, an exchange of property or services. The fair market value of property or services received is normally taxable.
Some types of income are not taxable except under certain conditions, including:
  • Life insuranceProceeds paid to you upon the death of an insured person are usually not taxable. However, if you redeem a life insurancepolicy for cash, any amount you get that is more than the cost of the policy is taxable.
  • Qualified scholarship In most cases, income from a scholarship is not taxable. This includes amounts used for certain costs, such as tuition and required books. On the other hand, amounts you use for room and board are taxable.
  • Other income tax refunds.  State or local income tax refunds may be taxable. You should receive a Form 1099-G from the agency that paid you. They may have sent the form by mail or electronically. Contact them to find out how to get the form. Report any taxable refund you got even if you did not receive Form 1099-G.
Here are some items that are usually not taxable:
  • Gifts and inheritances
  • Child support payments are not taxable income to the recipient or deductible to the payer.
  • Welfare benefits
  • Damage awards for physical injury or sickness
  • Reimbursements for qualified adoption expenses
For more on this topic see Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income. You can get it at anytime.

Specific question about your individual tax situation? Consultations are free @

From IRS